Szechuan Steamed Vegetables
Steaming veggies is an easy and nutritious way to prepare vegetables that preserves the delicate flavor. Of course they taste even better when they are topped with this simple and delicious Szechuan sauce. You can serve this over rice or serve it with baked tofu chunks as a meal.
1 head of broccoli broken into florets
1/2 head of cauliflower broken into florets
1 lb green beans 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
3 tablespoons low sodium tamari
8 deglet dates (4 medjool)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup (59ml) rice vinegar
garnish with red pepper flakes to taste and slices of green onion
- Steam veggies for 13 - 15 minutes to your preference of doneness.
- Sauté garlic and ginger in a small skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Add the dates, sesame seeds, rice vinegar and water to a blender and blend until dates are completely pulverized.
- Pour that mixture into the pan with the garlic and ginger and cook on medium high for a few minutes.
- Stir in the pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the steamed vegetables and garnish with the red pepper fakes and green onion.
( From Whole Food Plant Based )